Iodoral 50 High Potency Iodine/Potassium Iodide 30 tablets 01503 and 90 tablets 01504
High Potency Iodoral® IOD-50 is an iodine/potassium iodide supplement that supplies 50 mg elemental iodine.
Other ingredients: Micosolle®, a silica-based excipient containing a non-ionic surfactant, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable stearins and pharmaceutical glaze.
Keep in a cool, dry place, tightly capped.
Iodoral 50 High Potency Iodine/Potassium Iodide Suggested Use:
Take one tablet per day or as directed by a physician.
Warning: If pregnant or nursing, consult your healthcare practitioner before use. Keep out of reach of children. Do not use if you have an iodine sensitivity, or if you are taking anti-hypertension or anti-thyroid medications. Discontinue use if you develop swollen salivary glands, stomach upset, or skin rash.
See more cautions below.
More About Suggested Use
The suggested daily amount is 1-4 tablets/day as recommended by your physician. Work closely with your physician while on the Iodoral® program. Report to your physician any history of thyroid surgery and/or radiation, chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis (Hashimoto’s), and any previous problem with your thyroid. Before starting Iodoral®, your physician (He/She = He) will order blood tests for hematology, blood chemistry and thyroid functions. He will also perform an ultrasound of your thyroid to measure the size and appearance of your thyroid. Depending on the results of the thyroid function tests and ultrasound, he may order some blood tests for thyroid antibodies. If you are taking thyroid hormones, let your physician know about it. Be aware that Iodoral® enhances the response of your body to thyroid hormones.*(4,6) Subjects on Iodoral® feel warmer in cold environments and that is expected.* However, you will need to cut down the amount of thyroid hormones if you experience palpitation, anxiety, increased sweating and intolerance to heat. That is because Iodoral® decreases your need for thyroid hormones.* Your physician will guide you in titrating downward the amount of thyroid hormones. Your physician will reevaluate you one month afterward if you are on thyroid hormones, and 3 months if not. Keep a record of what you observe while on Iodoral® and show it to your physician.
To test whole body sufficiency for iodine, 4 tablets of Iodoral® are ingested, followed by 24 hr. urine collection. The more deficient a subject is in iodine, the more iodine is retained by the body and the least excreted in the urine. Sufficiency is achieved when 90% or more of the ingested amount is excreted in the urine. In most subjects tested, 3-4 tablets of Iodoral®/day were required to achieve whole body sufficiency within 3 months and the body retained approximately 1.5 gm iodine at sufficiency.*(4,8) Check with your physician for more information about the loading test.
Warning: Ingestion of iodine and/or iodide has been associated with certain complaints. If you experience any of the following, stop ingesting Iodoral® and contact your physician:
- Acne-like skin lesions in certain areas of your body
- Headache in the frontal sinus
- Unpleasant brassy taste
- Increased salivation and sneezing
- If you experience any unusual symptom since starting on Iodoral®, contact your physician.
1. Ghent, W., et al, Can. J. Surg., 36:453-460,1993.
2. Eskin, B., et al, Biological Trace Element Research, 49:9-19, 1995.
3. Marine, D., Atl. Med. J., 26:437-442, 1923.
4. Abraham,G.E., The Original Internist, 11:17-36, 2004.
5. Gennaro A.R., Remington: 19th Edition, 1995, Mack Publishing Co, 1267.
6. Abraham, G.E., Flechas, J.D., Hakala, J.C., The Original Internist, 9:30-41, 2002.
7. Epstein, S.S., et al, Prevention Program Macmillan, NY, 1998, pg5.
8. Abraham, G.E., The Original Internist, 11:(2) 29-38, 2004.
9. Abraham, G.E. Townsend Letter, 245:100-101, 2003.
10. Abraham, G.E., Flechas, J.D., Hakala, J.C., The Original Internist, 9:5-20, 2002.
Contact us for a functional medicine consultation.