Designs for Health
Designs for Health Philosophy
Designing a Well World
We are driven by a higher purpose. We are activists for health—rooted in and united by science. Transforming boundaries, breaking barriers, setting new standards, disrupting the status quo.
We believe in science-based nutrition and natural medicine, developing health products without compromise, and advancing the way education and technology support wellness for all.
We will keep discovering. We will keep connecting. We will keep fearlessly advocating for the greater good. So that one-day, natural medicine and the science of nutrition stand at the forefront of the healthcare landscape.
Here, holistic thinking comes first. Functional medicine becomes conventional medicine. Supplements and lifestyles converge. A wellness epidemic begins. We design a new paradigm.
We design a well world.
The Science First Difference – Designs for Health
As a manufacturer of premium quality nutritional supplements, distributed exclusively to health care practitioners, Designs for Health is committed to producing the most effective and therapeutic nutritional products possible. We are responsible for meeting every aspect of this concept through our guiding principle: Science First.
The Science First concept includes product ingredient selection, raw material sourcing, product formulation, potency regulations and assurances, dietary recommendations, delivery methods, and education. Our Science-First principles guide all of our decision-making processes, from product ingredient selection to packaging.
In addition, all DFH supplements and products are:
- 100% gluten-free
- Free of all forms of soy protein
- Include NO artificial sweeteners or detrimental levels of nutritive sweeteners such as sucrose, glucose, fructose/ high fructose corn syrup, or concentrated fruit juices.
Science First: Product Ingredient Selection
TruTG™ Fish Oils
The majority of fish oil concentrate products on the market cut costs by eliminating the process of reducing the ethyl esters (EE) back into their natural triglyceride (TG) state, the way they occur in whole foods. This process is vital because it removes the ethanol backbone and re-esterifies the omega-3 fatty acids to a glycerol backbone. Many of the companies that take this extra step only convert 60-65% of the oil to TG, leaving a mixture of EE, and mono- and diglyceride oil in the product.
Designs for Health fish oil products carry the TruTG™ seal – assuring that all of the fish oils have an unmatched TG potency and delivered in the form found in nature, consistent with the Paleolithic nutritional philosophy. Products with our TruTG™ seal are 90-100% triglyceride-bound omega-3 fish oils – 40-50% higher than the industry standard for TG fish oil concentrate products.
Benefits of TG form Fish Oils:
- It is the naturally occurring form found in foods and the body.
- It is 100% more bioavailable than the EE form.
- It is easier to assimilate for patients with impaired digestions and absorption.
- It is less prone to oxidation and the production of free radicals.
- It provides no post-digestion production of alcohol in the gut or bloodstream.
- It is less susceptible to increasing free fatty acids in the blood, leading to an increase in blood glucose.
The term “Vitamin E” covers eight compounds grouped into tocopherols and tocotrienols, each with different chemistries and biological effects. Clinical studies show delta- and gamma-tocotrienols provide significant health benefits, but the commonly used alpha-tocopherol form interferes with delivery of those benefits. Commercial supplements are typically rich in tocopherols-alpha tocopherol.
Advancements in Vitamin E research show that tocotrienol fractions are more effective and have more unique beneficial properties than alpha-tocopherol. Designs for Health is committed to transitioning tocopherol-containing products to tocotrienols. The product lines feature the highest form of Vitamin E by including DeltaGold® tocotrienols due to its clinical applications and synergistic qualities. With the Science First philosophy, DeltaGold® has a GRAS rating from the FDA, and is derived from annatto, the only known plant containing tocotrienols with virtually no tocopherols present.
In addition to its use in the supplements, Designs for Health is also committed to the funding of DeltaGold® tocotrienols for a variety of clinical research trials including cancer, NAFLD, Metabolic Syndrome, and Osteoarthritis.
Tocotrienol-rich products include the Designs for Health Annatto-E™ 150, Annatto-E™ 300, and Annatto-E™ Synergy products.
Benefits of Tocotrienols:
Tocotrienols may reduce the risk of cancer by fighting free radical damage. Some studies also suggest that this form of vitamin E can slow the growth of cancer cells. A 2013 study found that tocotrienols could promote the death of breast cancer cells.
Tocotrienols can help prevent and reduce osteoporosis-related bone loss in several ways. Studies of rats have found that tocotrienol may slow the course of free radical-related bone loss.
People who already have osteoporosis can also benefit from tocotrienol. Tocotrienol may support bone growth, helping the body replace bone that has been lost to osteoporosis.
Improved gastrointestinal health
Tocotrienol was especially effective at fighting the effects of stress on the gastrointestinal system. In a study of rats that compared tocotrienol to tocopherol, tocotrienol alone stopped hormonal and acidity changes related to stress.
Hair and skin health
Some studies suggest that applying tocotrienol to the skin may help, in reducing the signs of aging.
- The Annatto source of tocotrienols is free of tocopherols and contains 100% tocotrienols.
- We source tocotrienols with the patented Delta Gold® – a formula which has GRAS from the FDA.
- Alpha Tocopherol has been found to negatively impact the absorption and utilization of Tocotrienol, and we at Designs for Health have moved to remove all forms of Alpha Tocopherol from our product line.
An excess of folic acid in the body can lead to undesirable health outcomes. To cut costs, synthetic folic acid is the primary form used in food fortification and commercial supplements. Synthetic folic acid can cause the buildup of unmetabolized folic acid associated with genetic polymorphisms, which can alter the folate enzyme.
Due to the importance of utilizing the right form of folate, Designs for Health made the decision to absorb the added costs and to remove all folic acid from the supplements in favor of folate or the active forms of folate.
Benefits of Folate:
Benefits of Folate:
- The folate cycle shows a need for more natural folates in nutraceutical formulas.
- Designs for Health’s folate products feature true folates, rather than folic acid.
- We remove all synthetic folic acid found in the naturally occurring forms of folate from all Designs for Health products.
- Designs for Health products are made up of folate in the active form 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) or forms that can be easily converted into 5-MTHF such as 5-formyltetrahydrofolate or calcium folinate.
Allulose is an ideal sweetening agent, especially with the growing interest in reduced carbohydrate and ketogenic diets. By reducing carbohydrate and refined sugar intakes, patients are seeking convenient and delicious products to fit into their low-sugar lifestyle.
The body does not metabolize allulose, and the FDA has recently reclassified it as an ingredient that does not impact blood sugar or have a calorie load. Designs for Health was one of the first dietary supplement companies to include allulose as a natural sugar-free alternative in its product line, protein bars, and chews. Allulose products fit perfectly into a healthy keto or low-sugar regimen.
Benefits of Allulose:
- Allulose occurs naturally in figs, raisins, and other foods.
- Humans lack the enzymes to digest allulose. Instead, it’s excreted without unpleasant GI effects associated with certain sugar alcohols.
- Consumed in reasonable amounts, it has no impact on blood glucose or insulin levels.
- It has a glycemic impact of zero.
- It acts as a prebiotic providing a beneficial effect on the Microbiota.
- It has 90% fewer calories than sucrose.
Designs For Health Probiotics
There is a rise in the interest of probiotics supplements due to recent studies showing a relationship between gut health and numerous health concerns. The primary concerns with probiotic supplements are the potency of the strains and how they are affected by elements such as temperature, moisture, packaging, and delivering practices.
Designs for Health have taken an innovative and transparent approach to our Probiotic formulations.
More about the Designs for Health ProbioMed™ line:
- All probiotics are shelf-stable, broad spectrum, and dairy-free.
- We deliver all probiotics in state-of-the-art moisture, oxygen, and light-resistant packaging.
- The products do not require refrigeration.
- The probiotics offer the most highly researched probiotic strains proven to provide a strong adherence to the intestinal epithelial and mucosal walls and do not cause antibiotic resistance.
- The ProbioMed™ 50 and ProbioMed™ 100 (50 billion and 100 billion CFU, respectively) feature delayed release for optimal survivability from stomach acid.
- The ProbioMed™ 250 (250 billion CFU) is available in single-serving stick packs lined with moisture, oxygen, and light resistant film to preserve viability.
Our Science First philosophy believes in increasing the sustainability, freshness, and environment of our products. The eco-friendly packaging process has moved away from plastic to glass and cardboard.
Product Formulation & Potency Decisions
We take pride in the development of highly effective synergistic formulations through the power of science. Our team uses extensive research to create formulations that contain the utmost in potency with the most effective results. Over the years, practitioners have come to trust and rely on our products and ingredients, knowing they are receiving the highest quality of nutritional supplement products available.
We test the products for potency, contaminants, and quality through every step of the manufacturing process.